Wojciech Lubawski, the President of Kielce, and Janusz Cedro, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship Conservator - expressed their support fot the realization of the project. Content partner of the project is Foundation for the Preservation of Jewish Heritage.
Beit ha Midrasz (click and read more) is a small building (of ca. 54 square meters) situated at Słowacki Street, was built as the private house of prayer by a well known Kielce investor Herszel Zagajski in 1922. It had capacity of 80 people.During the war, the building was destroyed by Germans, but it survived.
After the war it served as a storehouse. It is worth to mention that despite the ongoing devastation, in the interior original frescos, parts of polychrome and Ezrat Nashim (pl. “babiniec” - separate area for women) survived. In Poland only two such buildings were preserved until modern times.
On the 10th of September 2012, in Zagajscy Prayer House, Chairman of the Society, Bogdan Białek and New Space Arts Foundation Director, Tomasz Tworek signed agreement including goals and rules of cooperation in translocation project in presence of President of Kielce, journalists and Voivodeship Conservator.
In the first decades of XX century Herszel Zagajski was one of the biggest investors in Kielce. He was the owner of Wietrznia quarry, producing building materials. Zagajski was also known for his social and philanthropist activities . He was a member of CityCouncil, a founder of nursing home and shelter for Jewish orphans.
Preliminary visualization of the Place of Memory and Reflection “Beit ha Midrasz” by architect Wojciech Kurzeja